Last night more than 40 members of the 300 Men March embarked on a 35 mile walk from Baltimore to Washington, D.C. to bring awareness to the epidemic of violence in Baltimore. Baltimore Sun reporter Kevin Rector accompanied the group as they walked from Baltimore to the National Mall. They reached D.C. this afternoon.
More than 40 men began an overnight, 35-mile trek to Washington Sunday evening — a demonstration they hope will bring more attention to the epidemic of violence in Baltimore and other cities around the nation.
The members of the 300 Men March, a grass-roots group that recruits city youth to walk the streets denouncing the hundreds of killings in Baltimore each year and the apathy that often follows, planned to take their message to the National Mall, where they will arrive Monday afternoon.
Munir Bahar, the group’s founder, said the walk to Washington measures about four times the group’s previous longest march, a 10-mile hike across Baltimore on North Avenue in July. With breaks along the way, he said, the journey, the distance of which is longer than a marathon, should take about 20 hours, and end at about 2 p.m.
“It’s symbolic of what we’re willing to do to address the violence in our city,” Bahar said. “The solution is simple. We need to go above and beyond.” More than 200 people have been killed in Baltimore so far this year, with May and July each seeing more than 40 homicides.
I’ve been watching Kevin’s and the 300 Men March twitter timelines. I noticed that they had the police from the various Maryland counties escorting them during their walk.