According to CBS Money Watch.com some of the 20 worst paying college degrees in 2010 involve careers in Family and Child studies, Elementary education, Social work, Culinary arts, Special education and Horticulture. For example folks who are social workers may start out earning $31,800 and by mid career their salaries can go up to $44,900. Of course starting and mid salaries may differ depending on the area of the country you live in.
20 Worst-Paying College Degrees in 2010
College Degree Starting pay Mid-career pay
1. Child and family studies $29,500 $38,400
2. Elementary education $31,600 $44,400
3. Social work $31,800 $44,900
4. Athletic training $32,800 $45,700
5. Culinary arts $35,900 $50,600
6. Horticulture $35,000 $50,800
7. Paralegal studies/law $35,100 $51,300
8. Theology $34,700 $51,300
9. Recreation & leisure $33,300 $53,200
10. Special education $36,000 $53,800
If you’re looking for a career that starts out paying well and continues paying well you need to major in areas that require strong math and science skills. The best paying college degrees include Petroleum engineering, Aerospace engineering, Chemical engineering, Applied Mathematics, Computer engineering and Economics. Starting pay for Petroleum engineers is $93,000 and by mid career your salary can be $157,000.
Check out the Best Undergrad College Degrees by Salary at Payscale.com to see the best and worst undergrad degrees by salary.